Hi, my name is Kelly and I’m a Registered Yoga Therapist and the proud owner of nelumbo yoga therapy in Milton. Yoga Therapy is an alternative / complementary therapy that combines physical movement with counselling and life style modification for people in pain, with chronic diseases, mental health concerns or limited mobility.
I came to Yoga Therapy through my experiences as a counsellor-therapist. I have worked and studied in many counselling environments including recreational programming for seniors with various mental disabilities, corporate and private sector career and outplacement counselling, social services counselling for homeless and/or drug addicted young adults, and educational programing for children 0-5 years of age. I love counselling, and I love helping people transform their lives. And what I love just as much, is Yoga. I’ve been studying and practicing yoga for the last 12 years, and the study of eastern philosophy for 8 years. My counselling style is infused with contemplative psychology, the Yoga Sutras and Buddhist philosophy.
Through these counselling experiences and as a Yogi studying Yogic philosophy, I became more and more convinced of the mind-body interrelationship and the need for a practice that integrates and addresses people on all levels of being human, in order to promote healing, well-being and personal growth. Yoga counselling and therapeutics may seem new to you, and it is a relatively new genre here in the West; however it is firmly based on ancient practices 2500 years old, albeit redesigned for contemporary life and firmly guided by contemporary evidence-based research.
The “science” of yoga and the benefits of yoga therapy on healing has been massively studied in the last 5 years, and it continues today. The good news is there is an abundance of evidence-based research supporting the tools and techniques of Yoga Therapy (with more and more research coming daily!). There is just so much richness here.
The practice of Yoga therapy is more than just moving your body into funny positions: it is a whole set of techniques that allow an individual to jump start their own natural healing abilities. (Unlike other therapies and prescriptions, Yoga Therapy is empowering: it finds the answers to your health issues within You. You might say it works from the “inside, out”.) The tools of yoga therapy include learning to move your body safely, breathing exercises for balancing the nervous system, teaching the body (and mind) Relaxation techniques, guided meditation, using food as medicine, self-reflection and lifestyle modifications, tailored to create a practice for your unique situation.
I have witnessed tremendous success with my own clients, and feel so lucky to help people come into contact with their body-mind connection and to find solace, safety and ownership of their own bodies.
Needless to say, I am very excited to be working on the cutting edge of this up and coming alternative/complementary therapy, assisting people by enriching their lives through mind-body awareness.
Kelly McArdle is trained and certified in Anusara-style Yoga Therapy (certification from Integrated Health and Yoga Therapy), focusing on anatomy and physiology, holistic therapy, Anusara structural manual adjustments, asanas for chronic pain and diseases, Ayurvedic philosophy and doshic assessment. She has also received training from some really wonderful programs and people that are pioneers in the Yoga Therapy field.
- Dana Moore M.A.R., M.A. is a psychotherapist and Kripalu Yoga teacher pioneering the work of yoga and trauma healing. He co-developed the Yoga Program at the Trauma Center, Brookline, Mass and co-teaches numerous programs with Bessel van der Kolk, MD author of The Body Keeps the Score. Click here for a free-download on Trauma-Informed Yoga Exercises. Dana’s website: www.journeywell.org
- Yoga Warriors training for Trauma-Survivors at TaylorMade Yoga
- Yoga for Depression and Anxiety with Bo Forbes, clinical psychologist and integrative yoga therapist
- Children’s Yoga Teacher’s certification through PowerYoga Canada
- Seniors Yoga Certification through Annette Wertman; Ageless Yoga with Esther Myers Yoga
- Leslie Kaminoff, Breath-Centred Yoga
- Maria Garre, Ayuverda for Digestion
- Yoga Nidra, Rod Stryker and ParaYoga
- Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy, Toronto Western Hospital, Northwoods Mindfulness Community and Mindfulness for Health
- Mindful Self-Compassion Core Skills Training, Dr. Christopher Germer
- Yoga for Cancer, Jnani Chapman and Susie Hatley
- Yoga for Arthritis, Margo McKinnon, Body Harmonics
Please feel free to contact Kelly any time. Get the latest from NYT, subscribe to our mailing list
Kelly is everywhere!
- Member: Canadian Yoga Alliance
- Member: International Association of Yoga Therapists
- Member: Mindfulness Toronto Professional Community
- Member and Co-Chair / Co-Founder: Mindfulness Halton-Peel Professional Community
- Published: Integrated Holistic Yoga Therapy: Fibromyalgia and Yoga Therapy
- Newspaper article: Inside Halton
- Radio: eHealth Radio
- Private Clinic Hours in Milton, 450 Bronte Street S., #212 Milton, ON
- Counting Butterflies, Child, Youth and Family Services, 6 Main St. N, Campbellville, ON
- Progressive Rehab, Physiotherapy clinic, Mississauga, ON
- Allendale Long-term Care Home, Milton, ON
- Creek Way Village Long-term Care Home, Burlington, ON
- Entwhistle Power Occupational Therapy, providing Yoga Therapy for Motor Vehicle Accident Survivors
- Hawthorne Village Public School, Milton, ON
- Family Yoga, various homes in Halton region
- One-on-One Yoga Therapy, in-home, various homes in Halton region